Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! For many, it is a day to celebrate the ones you love with cards, flowers, chocolates, and more. But one of the best ways an employer can celebrate this day is to provide a health benefits package to their employees, because nothing says, “I love my employees” more than investing in them!
One of the best ways is with a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA)!
Why? Because the FSA and HSA are both pre-tax accounts that employees can use to pay for their qualified out-of-pocket health care expenses. Both health benefits are great options to enhance an employer’s benefits package, helping employees save 25-40% in taxes for every dollar they elect.
The BASE® FSA allows employees to pay for their qualified expenses with all funds elected available on day 1 of the plan year.
The BASE® HSA allows employees to save and pay for qualified expenses now or in the future with funds growing as they put their money into the account on a pre-tax basis each year.
Here are 6 reasons employees will love an FSA/HSA:
- Reduces taxable income which increases take-home pay. When an employee puts money into their FSA or HSA on a pre-tax basis, it helps to save on federal, state, Social Security, and Medicare taxes.
- Use on a tax-free basis. When employees use the FSA/HSA to pay for qualified out-of-pocket health care expenses, they do not pay taxes on those funds being used.
- Share the love with family. One of the best parts about the FSA/HSA is that employees can use those funds on their loved ones (as long as they are qualified dependents) and their health care needs.
- Lots of qualified expenses. The IRS has approved hundreds of health care items and services as FSA/HSA-eligible. Employees can spend their funds on eligible over-the-counter medications, prescriptions, copays, deductibles, dental visits, eye exams, and so much more.
- Potential future use. With the HSA, employees continue to rollover funds each year, no matter what. The money stays in the account and continues to grow. With the FSA, depending on plan design, there might be a “grace period,” “carryover,” or “use-it-or-lose-it.”
- Peace of mind. Employees will have peace of mind knowing that they are putting away funds to pay for any unexpected doctor visit, surgery, or procedure that they weren’t planning on for the year.
There are so many more reasons for employees to love pre-tax health benefits, but employers benefit too. The bottom line is that the tax advantages for both the employee and employer are hard not to love. Contact BASE® at 888.386.9680 or visit www.BASEonline.com.